Skip to main content

A Financial Luxury No One Talks About

Last weekend I moved into an apartment that more than doubled what I was paying in rent. To be honest, I had a really good deal and unfortunately had to give it up. I'm *almost* living paycheck to paycheck. By *almost* I mean I have to be very careful about any extra spending. 

One thing not in my budget: internet connection. Call me crazy but let me just tell you something: internet is not a necessity, it is a luxury. It is not necessary to put yourself through such financial strain. Much of the first world, however, cannot fathom living without an internet connection or *gasp* Netflix. Though many people in the US and other countries cannot afford such a luxury when they are struggling to eat each day. 

Instead of getting lost in the world wide web and Netflix, there are so many other things to do. Read books (that you check out from the library of course). Go outside for a walk or hike. Connect with friends and family. Have a dinner party. Host game night. Rest. Enjoy the silence.

We've been conditioned to always be connected and it is hurting our relationships, our happiness and our mental health. And the internet is to blame in my opinion. So for now, I'll be living without internet and enjoying better health.

What *necessity* have you cut from your budget?


Comments

  1. When I moved to my first appartment and was living by myself I also didn't spring for internet. I would go to the apartment clubhouse if I really needed to do something, otherwise, reading, tv (with my bunny ears) and working out were my hobbies. Jess at Just Jess

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Money Matters - July

July was a long money month. There were five weekends and five Mondays. Thankfully, I ended up staying within my means and even had some extra money to put into my travel fund. Best Purchases 1) New bathing suit at Target. I've never worn a bikini before and was in an "I don't care what people think" mood so I bought a bikini! I wear it every time I go to the pool or beach now! 2) Trashcan at Costco. Yes that was one of my best purchases. I'm picky in that I wanted stainless steel with a closeable lid. Do you know those things cost at least $50 if not more...even at Wal-Mart? Well, Costco had an eco-friendly, motion sensor stainless steel for $30. It went home with me that day! Regrettable Purchases 1) Blackfinn Pub - I spent $9.00 on a glass of wine when I could have bought a whole bottle of the same wine for the same price at Total Wine. I was quite the active little introvert during July, however, a lot of the activities included meals which made meal

Staycation - RDU Style

If you know me, you know that I only use my PTO for adventures outside of the state I live in. This past week, however, the stress became too much to handle and decided last minute to take Friday off for mental health. And with my day off, I visited some places I've been wanting to go for quite some time. 1) My day started with a pick me up movie known as "Mamma Mia." The good laughs started out the day on a happy note. 2) After the movie, I headed outdoors to take a walk. My apartment complex is large enough to get a good 30 - 45 minute walk in and I was even able to check my mail on the way back. 3) Some of my DVDs were due back at the library so that was my first stop. I love having a library that rents out movies. It costs me nothing and if I am proactive, they will already have the movies in the hold section for me to pick up. 4) From there, I head to True Flavors Diner & Catering . I sat at the countertop bar that overlooked the kitchen. And since yo

Money Matters - June

Welcome to the new 1st Monday of the month blog series where I discuss money from the previous month. I'll talk about good purchases, regrettable purchases, how much I was able to pay down in debt (if any) and other money talk. Join me on the ride! June was a slightly expensive month and I knew it would be so I put money away. I moved in June and spent $100 on that. I also did not own several important things needed for living so I had to purchase those (about $100). My close friend came into town and helped me decorate (she is so good at it. Definitely could be an interior designer). I absolutely love the way she took my decor and needed to buy some things (about $250). I was also asked to go to Chicago the first weekend in October and the thought of spending money stressed me out. I knew I was going to choose to go, just wasn't yet ready to pay for it. That's when I remembered my Delta SkyMiles ! I absolutely love Delta. My favorite airline and I got a huge mileage bo