Skip to main content

Money Matters - July

July was a long money month. There were five weekends and five Mondays. Thankfully, I ended up staying within my means and even had some extra money to put into my travel fund.

Best Purchases
1) New bathing suit at Target. I've never worn a bikini before and was in an "I don't care what people think" mood so I bought a bikini! I wear it every time I go to the pool or beach now!
2) Trashcan at Costco. Yes that was one of my best purchases. I'm picky in that I wanted stainless steel with a closeable lid. Do you know those things cost at least $50 if not more...even at Wal-Mart? Well, Costco had an eco-friendly, motion sensor stainless steel for $30. It went home with me that day!

Regrettable Purchases
1) Blackfinn Pub - I spent $9.00 on a glass of wine when I could have bought a whole bottle of the same wine for the same price at Total Wine.

I was quite the active little introvert during July, however, a lot of the activities included meals which made meal planning quite easy. Also, I was part of several work sponsored lunches which meant I did not have to plan to eat lunch those days. I still spent about $45 more than my food budget allows but that's okay. Month over month, I tend to spend less than what I budget for. Wal-Mart and Aldi for the grocery shopping win!

#moneywin - I switched my cell phone plan from Verizon (which only gave me 2 gb of data) to a prepaid plan called Total Wireless (still runs on the Verison network). The plan has unlimited talk/text and 5 gb of data. However, if you buy the prepaid card at Wal-Mart, you get another gb of data. So I went from having only 2 gb of data to having 6 and my phone bill went down by $27/month. #winwin





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Staycation - RDU Style

If you know me, you know that I only use my PTO for adventures outside of the state I live in. This past week, however, the stress became too much to handle and decided last minute to take Friday off for mental health. And with my day off, I visited some places I've been wanting to go for quite some time. 1) My day started with a pick me up movie known as "Mamma Mia." The good laughs started out the day on a happy note. 2) After the movie, I headed outdoors to take a walk. My apartment complex is large enough to get a good 30 - 45 minute walk in and I was even able to check my mail on the way back. 3) Some of my DVDs were due back at the library so that was my first stop. I love having a library that rents out movies. It costs me nothing and if I am proactive, they will already have the movies in the hold section for me to pick up. 4) From there, I head to True Flavors Diner & Catering . I sat at the countertop bar that overlooked the kitchen. And since yo

Money Matters - June

Welcome to the new 1st Monday of the month blog series where I discuss money from the previous month. I'll talk about good purchases, regrettable purchases, how much I was able to pay down in debt (if any) and other money talk. Join me on the ride! June was a slightly expensive month and I knew it would be so I put money away. I moved in June and spent $100 on that. I also did not own several important things needed for living so I had to purchase those (about $100). My close friend came into town and helped me decorate (she is so good at it. Definitely could be an interior designer). I absolutely love the way she took my decor and needed to buy some things (about $250). I was also asked to go to Chicago the first weekend in October and the thought of spending money stressed me out. I knew I was going to choose to go, just wasn't yet ready to pay for it. That's when I remembered my Delta SkyMiles ! I absolutely love Delta. My favorite airline and I got a huge mileage bo