Skip to main content

A Whirlwind DC Adventure

One of my close friends lives way too far away in the Tri State area of Pennsylvania. We talked about meeting up somewhere about half for each of us and it was decided DC would be a good spot. I call it a whirlwind because I was only there for about 36 hours. As a very bad blogger, I didn't take any pictures. Don't hurt me...it's nice to just be in the moment without looking at it from your phone screen! Alas, the details of my adventure.

Accommodations:
Excellent place and easily accessible from the interstate! Parking is available at this hotel and was relatively inexpensive considering we were very close to the heart of DC. There is a cafe with small breakfast items and sandwiches and most importantly, Starbucks coffee. The hotel also has a marketplace to pick up food and other sundries. The staff was beyond exceptional and happily answered everyone of my twenty questions as well as chit chatted about random life things. It's only several blocks from the Rosslyn Metro station where you can get on the orange, silver or blue lines. Since we were headed to Georgetown, we chose to walk the 1.2 miles across the bridge.

Activities:
This just so happened to be going on the weekend we were in town. Full of vendors with clothes, jewelry and food! They even had a photo booth that was free.

Georgetown University
Beautiful campus that is worth wandering through. If it's a nice day, grab some lunch and have a picnic on one of the front lawns. 

M Street & Wisconsin Ave NW
If you want to do some shopping, these two streets have a lot to offer. To me, M street seemed to be more chain type places and Wisconsin Ave seemed to be local shopping. Take your pick as either one is great!

Georgetown Waterfront
There are some restaurants down by the waterfront. It's also a great place to relax and people watch. From here, you will be able to access the walking trail that goes to the National Mall.

King Street - Alexandria
Shoppes, restaurants, architecture, charm and a waterfront. You won't regret hitting up this street.

My favorite part: Food
Just right off Georgetown University, this restaurant sits underground which makes it a great spot to cool off on a hot DC day. Very reasonably priced, I had the biscuits and gravy with an Island Mimosa (had rum in it as well as the champagne with a tropical fruit juice). I would eat here again!

Sugar, sugar and more sugar. We went to the original location on M St and the line was not terribly long. They had so many choices it was hard to decide. I narrowed my choices down to Red Velvet or Peanut Butter Birthday Cake. The later choice ultimately won. It was well worth the money and the sugar intake! A DC must!

Let's just say I haven't stopped talking about this restaurant since we ate here. They have a ceviche bar, taco bar, tequila and mezcal bar. Most, if not all, the items on the menu are sharable plates. This is a way of dining that has become extremely popular and I love it. Sharables allow me to try 5-6 items instead of just my dinner. We couldn't decide between several items and the server was very knowledgable and made excellent recommendations. We both had the margarita of the day which had mango and mezcal in it and the salt on the rim was smoked...AMAZING! The atmosphere at Oyamel is very fun, upbeat and colorful! I would highly recommend eating here when you visit. Though make your reservations several days in advance unless you don't mind sitting in the bar!

Located in the Alexandria district of DC is this restaurant that cooks up some soulful southern cooking. This place was priced a bit higher but the delicious food made up for it. I had the chicken and waffles with a brunch sangria. So delicious! The waffles came with a syrup that had a kick to it and soon discovered it was maple syrup mixed with Srichacha. Made my tastebuds come alive. I will be trying this at home! I would definitely eat here again!

If you've been to DC, what are your favorite spots?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Money Matters - July

July was a long money month. There were five weekends and five Mondays. Thankfully, I ended up staying within my means and even had some extra money to put into my travel fund. Best Purchases 1) New bathing suit at Target. I've never worn a bikini before and was in an "I don't care what people think" mood so I bought a bikini! I wear it every time I go to the pool or beach now! 2) Trashcan at Costco. Yes that was one of my best purchases. I'm picky in that I wanted stainless steel with a closeable lid. Do you know those things cost at least $50 if not more...even at Wal-Mart? Well, Costco had an eco-friendly, motion sensor stainless steel for $30. It went home with me that day! Regrettable Purchases 1) Blackfinn Pub - I spent $9.00 on a glass of wine when I could have bought a whole bottle of the same wine for the same price at Total Wine. I was quite the active little introvert during July, however, a lot of the activities included meals which made meal

Staycation - RDU Style

If you know me, you know that I only use my PTO for adventures outside of the state I live in. This past week, however, the stress became too much to handle and decided last minute to take Friday off for mental health. And with my day off, I visited some places I've been wanting to go for quite some time. 1) My day started with a pick me up movie known as "Mamma Mia." The good laughs started out the day on a happy note. 2) After the movie, I headed outdoors to take a walk. My apartment complex is large enough to get a good 30 - 45 minute walk in and I was even able to check my mail on the way back. 3) Some of my DVDs were due back at the library so that was my first stop. I love having a library that rents out movies. It costs me nothing and if I am proactive, they will already have the movies in the hold section for me to pick up. 4) From there, I head to True Flavors Diner & Catering . I sat at the countertop bar that overlooked the kitchen. And since yo

Money Matters - June

Welcome to the new 1st Monday of the month blog series where I discuss money from the previous month. I'll talk about good purchases, regrettable purchases, how much I was able to pay down in debt (if any) and other money talk. Join me on the ride! June was a slightly expensive month and I knew it would be so I put money away. I moved in June and spent $100 on that. I also did not own several important things needed for living so I had to purchase those (about $100). My close friend came into town and helped me decorate (she is so good at it. Definitely could be an interior designer). I absolutely love the way she took my decor and needed to buy some things (about $250). I was also asked to go to Chicago the first weekend in October and the thought of spending money stressed me out. I knew I was going to choose to go, just wasn't yet ready to pay for it. That's when I remembered my Delta SkyMiles ! I absolutely love Delta. My favorite airline and I got a huge mileage bo