Skip to main content

Lessons from a Broken Wrist


$3,000 is what a night out ice skating cost me. Yes you read that correctly.

In high school, one of my classmates nicknamed me graceful because I always used to trip over my feet or not pick up my feet when I walked and therefore kicked stuff and fell quite often. I thought I had outgrown that nickname until one wintery evening in January 2016 when I went ice skating with some friends. The ice was not smooth and I was not familiar with wearing hockey skates. On the 6th or 7th fall that night, I threw my left hand down to catch myself and heard + felt the loudest crack. My wrist had broken. I knew it immediately when I couldn't put any pressure on it without screaming bloody murder. The picture above is what I had to wear for 5 days and I had a Carolina blue cast for another 4.5 weeks after.

Thankfully, I am right handed. However, you never truly understand how much you use your non dominant hand until you suddenly can't use it anymore. Those 5.5 weeks were full of ups/downs and more emotions than I knew I could feel. Some of the lessons I learned though still stick with me today.

1) Learn to ask for help. And then graciously accept it.
You see, I couldn't make myself food, open a water bottle, put my hair up in a ponytail, button pants, tie my shoes, make myself a plate of food at potlucks (and there were several of them I went to during that time) or hold anything in that hand other than a pen.  I had to ask for help from friends, family and co-workers alike. Friends made me food so I wouldn't starve or go broke from going out all the time. Roommates tied my shoes so I could go for walks. They also put my hair up. Co-workers carried bags and my hot lunch plates for me. In order to get through those few weeks, I had to swallow my pride, become dependent on others and ask them to help me. And I had to swallow even more pride to accept it.

2) It's ok to not be ok.
I was in a good mood for a few days after it happened...because I was drugged up and didn't notice anything. Then I had to go to work and couldn't take the meds. The pain was nearly unbearable and I was sleep deprived. (Trying sleeping with that thing in the picture. It's nearly impossible.) By the third week, I was extremely depressed. I felt useless, angry, moody. I couldn't do any of the normal things I was used to doing and I felt like I was a burden to people. One Saturday, I cried almost all day and drank absolutely way too much alcohol. (PS - don't ever do that...EVER!). Instead of talking to people about it, I shut everyone out and laid in bed all the time. TALK TO PEOPLE. Even when you can't articulate your feelings very well.

3) Don't be a martyr. 
This goes hand in hand with number #1. Sometimes in our lives, we can't be as self-sufficient and independent as we'd like and we can't serve people in the ways we are used to serving them. AND THAT'S OK. We can't do things sometimes and we have to allow people in. Be vulnerable. Stop trying to do everything on your own. Allow people to help when they've specifically told you they want to. This goes for life in general. Not just when you are sick.

4) You can help others even when you are going through your own stuff.
I'm not going to tell the specific story here but trust me when I say it is possible to help and serve others when you feel like your own life is drowning.

5) Some people will make you feel like a burden
YOU ARE NOT A BURDEN ever! Don't listen to the people who make you feel that way. Love the people who help you just a little bit better and be verbal about how much you appreciate them.

What are some rather unpleasant situations that have taught you some lessons?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Money Matters - July

July was a long money month. There were five weekends and five Mondays. Thankfully, I ended up staying within my means and even had some extra money to put into my travel fund. Best Purchases 1) New bathing suit at Target. I've never worn a bikini before and was in an "I don't care what people think" mood so I bought a bikini! I wear it every time I go to the pool or beach now! 2) Trashcan at Costco. Yes that was one of my best purchases. I'm picky in that I wanted stainless steel with a closeable lid. Do you know those things cost at least $50 if not more...even at Wal-Mart? Well, Costco had an eco-friendly, motion sensor stainless steel for $30. It went home with me that day! Regrettable Purchases 1) Blackfinn Pub - I spent $9.00 on a glass of wine when I could have bought a whole bottle of the same wine for the same price at Total Wine. I was quite the active little introvert during July, however, a lot of the activities included meals which made meal

Staycation - RDU Style

If you know me, you know that I only use my PTO for adventures outside of the state I live in. This past week, however, the stress became too much to handle and decided last minute to take Friday off for mental health. And with my day off, I visited some places I've been wanting to go for quite some time. 1) My day started with a pick me up movie known as "Mamma Mia." The good laughs started out the day on a happy note. 2) After the movie, I headed outdoors to take a walk. My apartment complex is large enough to get a good 30 - 45 minute walk in and I was even able to check my mail on the way back. 3) Some of my DVDs were due back at the library so that was my first stop. I love having a library that rents out movies. It costs me nothing and if I am proactive, they will already have the movies in the hold section for me to pick up. 4) From there, I head to True Flavors Diner & Catering . I sat at the countertop bar that overlooked the kitchen. And since yo

Money Matters - June

Welcome to the new 1st Monday of the month blog series where I discuss money from the previous month. I'll talk about good purchases, regrettable purchases, how much I was able to pay down in debt (if any) and other money talk. Join me on the ride! June was a slightly expensive month and I knew it would be so I put money away. I moved in June and spent $100 on that. I also did not own several important things needed for living so I had to purchase those (about $100). My close friend came into town and helped me decorate (she is so good at it. Definitely could be an interior designer). I absolutely love the way she took my decor and needed to buy some things (about $250). I was also asked to go to Chicago the first weekend in October and the thought of spending money stressed me out. I knew I was going to choose to go, just wasn't yet ready to pay for it. That's when I remembered my Delta SkyMiles ! I absolutely love Delta. My favorite airline and I got a huge mileage bo